Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Logistics of a Harry Potter Scarf

So, I'm thinking about Harry Potter scarves. I'm making all 4 house scarves: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin- for my friend Rob. So far I've done Slytherin and Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff came first, back when I didn't really know what I was getting myself into:



As you can see, it was basically just yellow and black, the black stripes seed stitch and the yellow stockinette. It rolled up around the edges horribly. So for the Slytherin I made some changes: I made the green stripes seed stitch and the silver basketweave, to reduce the rolling effect that goes along with stockinette. I also added an inital to each end: as Rob's are R.L, one end said "R" and the other "L" in fair isle. The problem? It ended up looking a little like "right" and left".


(I don't have a pic of that completed scarf, but here's what the yarn looked like)



So my next scarf is Ravenclaw. I set out on this scarf with more knowledge and a good idea of how I want it to look, sort of unlike the previous two. I realized the first two scarves, with their equally-sized stripes, looked like the ones worn as a lower-classman at Hogwarts. (Like in the pic above.) They wear these in their first two (three?) years, but later, the scarves look like this....


(Sorry I couldn't find an in-movie screenshot.) So anyway, the next scarf (Ravenclaw) promises to be far better than the first two. I plan on following the stripe pattern above, and I'm still fair-isling in the initals. This time, though, I'll put "RL" on BOTH sides so it doesn't end up looking like directions. I'm not decided on wether or not I'll ad fringe, though...

And to end things on a great note, here's Luna Lovegood.


-Christine

1 comment: